Thursday, March 31, 2011

TIP #21: Don't ever try to actually be [insert world famous author here]

I know you fancy yourself a book savvy dude, BUT don't actually test the theory out. See Hipsters are really good at likening themselves to certain cultural geniuses, quoting every line of Bartlett's, or just showing ... uh... enthusiasm for people they admire. William Shakespeare is a natural, acceptably mainstream, choice. No one can deny that Billy could write a play, and write it well. Same goes for Dante. Although he's pretty cocky through out his epic... He claims that he was graced a visit to Hell because he was such an amazing writer God wanted his genius self to be our poetic tour guide. But, dude's got a point. He may have not had modesty, but he had talent.

And why, do you ask, this seemed an appropriate tip to write at 2:30 AM? Because Columbia and I have been assigned to write in their likeness and it's brutal. And I am tired.


Part of me felt really pumped to have a creative essay alternative instead of another critical essay about one of the thousands of book we have read (and sorta skimmed heavily). Columbia chose the option to create her own Hell, in verse and tercets! Crazy woman. And I took the option to write a conversation between to Hamlet characters I feel have unfinished business and need to talk.

While, Columbia's is wonderfully reminiscent of Dr. Seuss and very clever. Mine is like an episode of My So-Called Life when they put on the school play and you see all of those horribly melodramatic "inspiring" auditions. You go Rayanne! Regardless, I actually started cracking up when I went back to proof read and I am so happy my professor is the only one who will ever lay eyes on that monstrosity.

My point is, I love Shakespeare. I always feel like after you go to the gym and you really made and effort and you get back home and are just like... yeah I did good! Not that I exercise anymore... just blog. It was just so disheartening to attempt to reach his genius and realize that, no, it's not that easy.

So, you really think you're the next Thoreau? Go live in the woods and come back magic. That's right, didn't think so.
Brooklyn

0 comments:

Post a Comment