Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tip #15: Cut the Cape

Here in not-so-sunny NYC the snow is finally upon us and it has made me start to reconsider the current coat I have. It's not that my peacoat doesn't satisfy all my hipster needs, but the abnormally windy winter is proving to be too harsh for my flimsy coat. And as I searched for the perfect replacement I kept coming across one item in particular. CAPES! WTF? Capes, really? I mean, I know vintage is our thing ya'll but I really think fashion circa the late 1800's is pushing it. Of course there are a few professions that can pull it off… the only ones that come to mind are superheroes, magicians, and burlesque performers… but I still count them (you do you).

Really, I think what peeves me is the fact that all the women (who are often of the hipster variety) I see sporting capes are actually choosing fashion over warmth. I mean, call me old fashioned, but I kind of like strolling every so often or not having to resort to drive thru everything just because I am too cold to leave my seat warmers (not that I drive or anything… sigh). I can't even imagine the draft you must get in a cape.


i mean just look at this cape:




Not only does it look like you are in an upscale mental ward where you ordered some kind of designer straight jacket - It doesn't even seem like it would protect you from the most basic winter worries. Like what if you are casually strolling down a windy/cold street and your phone rings… now what? You gonna answer that? WITH WHAT ARM HOLE? Besides, you'll be far too busy trying to keep the bottom of your coat from flipping up and exposing your torso to the unforgiving chill.


Of course, this is all fine and dandy during the warmer months (our tips can have conditions). Wear all the impractical garments of your choosing my lovely hipsters. But when I see your frail little selves, cape intact of course, trembling as we pass each other on the street know that I judge you for your choices - oh and that I feel just wee bit superior (and warmer) for that brief instant. Spring time, however, you'll go back to putting me in my place for being oh so bold and fashion forward, no worries.



Like this hipster, she is fierce. She's wearing a cape. And she not letting the restricted motion of her arms get her down. However, she is all alone. Which can only lead me to believe she makes bad choices… cape and all. JK she's a hipster which means this pic is all about her!! Of course she's all alone.  
Ok, enough of my pointless rambles. I hope there was a tip somewhere in there.

Make good choices,



0 comments:

Post a Comment