Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tip #14: Be pratical yet oh so trendy

I have realized an impressive difference between this winter (thus far) and last winter. Last winter I was home in NYC and if you have never visited the Big Apple in the winter I will be the first to tell you - it's really cold! Despite being an island, there is no glowing sun and or packed beaches - just a lot of really cold and cranky New Yorkers. This year however, I am in DC and while the weather is the same - the new fashion trends are not.

Last year I have distinct memories of me in ripped tights and a light jacket that could be considered more of a light sports coat than a winter coat. I shivered on random corners in the LES and cursed my slouchy leather boots' inability to provide my frozen toes any warmth.

This year however hipsters worldwide have, I can only imagine, reviewed the frostbite scars and hypothermia scares that last year's severe winter brought and decided function and fashion are friends. Think about it, what's popular this year? Over the knee socks + boots, fuzzy/furry hats, monstrous coats, mittens and more. And thank goodness, just in time!

This hipster is actually MOCKING nature! "Haha, you brought me snow and I still wore tights because these boss socks are not only trendy but warmer than a polar bear's hug! Bring it on Sweden!"

However, there are still some hipster's who are resisting the movement. And for that they must be stopped.


This hipster probably thought "this Katherine Hepburn meets Alice and Wonderland look is way to irresistible to save for a sunny day". Girlfriend, there is SNOW around you! There is no way to make that smile not look pained and sporadic between moments of convulsing shivers. Put a furry lumberjack hat on for Christ's sake!
So you know my stance, but really I worry about you dear hipsters. Your frail little bodies cannot survive off cigarette smoke as a heat source alone. Do yourselves a favor this winter and bundle up with all the crazy accessories conveniently located at your crazy Great Aunt Gertrude's house. You'll thank me for the extra hours you actually come out of your warm hermit cave during the long and trying winter. Not to mention, you'll totally be helping the movement - and a true hipster always loves a good cause.

Warm thoughts,

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

this speaks the truth...although high socks dont exactly warm the thighs, but who ever has cold thighs?

Post a Comment